Saimaa Seal Watching cruises
Join captain Arto on the comfortable Seal watching cruise by electric Ecoboat. You will have a great nature experience in lake Saimaa, and with some luck see a rare Saimaa Ringed Seal. Ecoboat is weather-proof and comfortable for people of all ages. So, what are you waiting for?
- Good chances to spot a Saimaa seal
- Enjoy the beauty of lake Saimaa
- Small group experience
- No special skills required
- Cruise is family-friendly
- Safe and comfortable Ecoboat, weather-proof cabin
- Rewarded as “Travelers´ choice 2021” by Tripadvisor
- Open public cruises & Private charters available
BOOK THIS TOUR
Select your option below and book online. On open public departures you can buy single seats. Private cruises are private for you and your friends. The departure location is different in early summer and in late summer, which is why there are four options
ABOUT THIS TOUR
You meet your guide Arto at the peer (remember to visit restroom prior to coming to the boat). You will be seated comfortably on the leather sofas of the Ecoboat and tour will start on time. In cold water season we have warm blankets in the boat for your comfort. NOTE that the departure location is different in early summer (1.5-13.6. Niinisaari island, 10kms from Puumala center) and late summer (15.6-30.9. Puumala center), you will get instuctions by email after booking your seat.
Arto will head the boat to the beautiful archipelago of Puumala, where seals live. Along the way, Arto will tell stories and facts about Seals and the nature, as well as show multimedia. You will get a lot of insights and of course you may ask questions from your knowledgeable captain. We will actively look out for Seals, and when we get it in sight, windows of the boat may be opened for better viewing and photos. On Seal watching cruises you may often spot other wild-life too, such as Fish eagles and other wild birds, which makes the tour allways more interesting. When we find a Saimaa seal, we will keep a safe distance to ensure that we will not disturb the seal. Sometimes it may happen that a curious young Seal swims close to the boat which is really exciting. You can never know in advance what you will see and experience on cruise, which is part of the excitement on Seal cruises!
Halfway of the cruise captain Arto will serve You coffee and tea with tasty bunnies (non-glutein, non-lactose). There will be juice for small children too. The coffee pause in fresh air and in middle of fantastic landscapes will energize you.
After coffee the boat will slowly return back to departure point. Arto will explain you about all the things that we have been doing to protect these wonderful Saimaa seals. For small children captain has also some in-boat activities to keep them interested (Seal-games and drawing). You will also have the possibility to buy Seal souvenirs from Artos small in-boat-souvenir-shop (soft toy, key-rings, magnets, pillow covers, books etc).
May and early June are the best times to spot seals lying on a rock sunbathing, as the adult seals are changing their fur during that period. Later in summer when weather is warm, seals may be seen in the water as they come breathing in surface. Nice nature experience and friendly service are guaranteed at all times!
SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT PUUMALA SEAL WATCHING CRUISES
Michael says it was a great trip. Click to read reviewGreat trip, especially when the weather is good. Quiet boat as it is electric, beautiful scenery and a knowledgeable and relaxed guide.
Seals, seals, seals ! Click to read customer reviewWe spent three hours in the beautiful Puumala archipelago with Arto….
Teemu joined the silent boat tour to see Saimaa Ringed Seal… Click to read reviewArto hosted a great tour to see Saimaa Ringed Seal in Puumala with his electric boat.
- Professional English speaking guide
- Hot drinks and sweet bunny
- Weather-proof comfortable Ecoboat
- Transfers to departure location
- Souvenirs are sold for extra fee
WHAT TO BRING
- Seasonal outdoor clothing
- Camera and drinking water
- On open public tours you can book single seats and there will be other people on tour
- On private charters only you and your friends are on board. Note that there is a minimum payment requirement
- Early summer tours 1.5-13.6. all depart from Niinisaari island a few kms from Puumala center, in Okkola holiday cottages peer. Address: Ylössaarentie 35, 52200 Puumala (250m walk from Okkola parking to the shore). This is ideal location for departures, as it is located right in the middle of the best seal area. Leave your car to restaurant Niinipuu parking (Okkola), visit toilet behind restaurant Niinipuu (red building, reads WC in the door) before departure (see details in video) Click here to get driving instruction
- Summer tours 15.6-30.9. all depart from Puumala center harbor, address: Satamatie , 52200 PUUMALA. Starting point is Puumala marketplace peer, next to Kalakontti fish-selling-truck
- The tour operates in almost all weather conditions (if there is a thunderstorm, we will wait untill it passes over and only then start the tour)
- Please arrive to peer latest 5 mins before departure time, and leave enough time for finding a parking for your car. Missing the departure time does not entitle you to a refund of the price paid for the services
- All our guides have undertaken our own training program and are highly qualified. Guidance is provided in Finnish & English, some of the other languages are available
- Full refund if cancelled not later than 7 days before departure.
- 75% refund if cancelled not later than 48 hours before departure
- 50% refund if cancelled not later than 24 hours before departure.
- No refund if cancelled less than 24 hours before departure or no show
- Change of day is possible when made latest 18h00 local time the day before departure. All changes cost 10€ extra and are subject to availability
- When is the best time to see Saimaa seals? Best period is May and early June. Best times of the day are mornings and evenings, but we do see Seals also on day-time during early summer season
- Where does the boat leave from? Early summer tours 1.5-13.6. all depart from Niinisaari island a few kms from Puumala center, in Okkola holiday cottages peer. Address: Ylössaarentie 35, 52200 Puumala. Summer tours 15.6-30.9. all depart from Puumala center harbor, address: Satamatie , 52200 PUUMALA
- I am only one person, can I book only one seat? Yes, but only on Public open departures. In case there is no open departure available on the time of your choosing, then you need to book a private charter and pay the minimum fee which is higher
- What if it rains? Do not worry. Ecoboat is weather-proof, the cabine keeps you dry and warm
- Do you have safety vest for children in boat? Yes, there are some small-size safety vest for children. If you have many children with you, you should inform us in advance so that we will take more of small-size safety vests on the tour
- Are pets allowed to travel with me? No, unfortunately not. We love pets but we do not allow them in the Ecoboat, because this might cause allergic reaction in other clients.
- When is my booking confirmed? Immediately after payment you will received confirmation email with instructions about the tour. If you think you have made the booking but have not received the confirmation email, then please contact us via the contact form and we will figure that out together
- How do I pay for the tour? You can book in our online-store and pay by Credit cards or via European SEPA bank payments. Alipay is also available. We require prepayment at time of the booking
- Do I have to book in advance? Yes. You need to book in advance to guarantee a seat. For Seal watching cruise, you can book untill 61 minutes before departure time
- Do I need cash to buy some souvenirs in Ecoboat? You can pay also by Credit card.
- Can I find more information about the Ecoboat? Yes, have a look at our Ecoboat web-page for more info
- I try to book but it does not work, what should I do? First make sure that you have checked the ” accept conditions” box. If it still does not work, please contact us via the contact form and we will contact You as soon as possible
- OTHER QUESTIONS? Please contact us via the contact form and we will answer as soon as possible